Candy Bar Meringue Torte
This is one of those "Where did you get this recipe?" creations! It's simple to make ahead, so it's perfect for having on hand for a large gathering. This is a wonderful finish to a holiday meal or when guests drop by. —Karen Nemeth, Fort McMurray, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 6 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 4 Butterfinger candy bars (2.1 ounces each), coarsely crushed, divided
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Using a pencil, draw a 10-in. circle on each of two sheets of parchment paper. Place each sheet, pencil mark down, on a baking sheet or pizza pan; set aside.
- Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Spread into 10-in. circles on prepared pans. Bake at 225° for 50-60 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 to 1-1/4 hours.
- Just before serving, place whipped topping in a large bowl; fold in three candy bars. Place one meringue layer on a serving plate; top with half of topping mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with remaining candy bar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 251 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Toffee Meringue Torte in Healthy Cooking October/November 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.