Candy Apple Walnut Pie
The South is known for apple pies, but this one is not your typical apple pie! The filling includes red-hot candies, and instead of a regular double crust, you simply crumble a frozen pastry shell and sprinkle it over the top. You can peel the apples if you wish or leave them unpeeled.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 6 cups sliced tart apples
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup red-hot candies
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 frozen deep-dish pastry shells (9 inches)
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, walnuts, red-hots, 1/3 cup sugar and flour; toss to coat. Spoon into one pastry shell. Crumble the remaining pastry shell into 1/2-in. pieces; toss with remaining sugar. Sprinkle over filling.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
Originally published as Candy Apple Walnut Pie in Country Extra January 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.