VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 9-3/4 to 10-1/4 cups bread flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped candied lemon peel
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- In a large bowl, combine 9-1/4 cups flour, sugar and yeast. In a large saucepan, heat the milk, yogurt, butter and water to 120°-130°; stir in vanilla and lemon peel. Add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg yolks, eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into loaves. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Candied Lemon Christmas Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p139