Candied Corn Medley
This was my kids' favorite holiday dish when they were growing up. They're now adults and still ask me to make it when they visit.—Eleanor Townsend, Punta Gorda, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 5 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place potato in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender, adding carrots during the last 5 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- In the same pan, saute onion in oil and reserved drippings until tender. Stir in the corn, syrup, salt, pepper and bacon. Drain potato mixture; add to skillet. Heat through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 154 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 266mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Candy Corn in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009
Dec 11, 2010
I made this for Thanksgiving; the kids were unsure about it but it was so good that it's been in regular dinner rotation ever since. The only change I made is that I used honey instead of maple syrup. Absolutely delicious.