Canadian Cheese Soup Recipe
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 ounces Jones Dairy Farm Canadian Bacon, trimmed and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. With a potato masher, mash vegetables several times. Add bacon; continue to simmer.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Add vegetable mixture, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; add cheese and pepper. Stir just until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 252 calories, 11g fat (0 saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 402mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Canadian Cheese Soup
"when i first made this recipe from the magazine, i didn't know that Americans called peameal "Canadian bacon" so i just used regular bacon and it turned out very well! love how simple it is!"
"i would give it 5 stars,simple to make and tastes very good,simple and delicios i say."