Canadian Bacon and Cheese Biscuits
My husband and I own and operate a fishing lodge here in northwestern Ontario. We're always looking for new sandwiches to serve our guests. These have met with raves for years.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 5 slices Swiss cheese (1/8 inch thick)
- 5 thin slices red onion (about 2-1/2-in. round)
- 5 round slices fully cooked Canadian bacon
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead 6-8 times. Pat or roll out to 1/4-in. thickness; cut 10 biscuits with a 2-1/2-in. floured biscuit cutter. Spread each with about 1/2 teaspoon mustard.
- Cut cheese with a 2-1/2-in. round cutter; place a slice on five of the biscuits. Top with onion and bacon. Cover with remaining biscuits, mustard side down.
- Place on a 1-in. apart on greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 15-18 minutes or until golden browned. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 433 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1042mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Canadian Bacon and Cheese Biscuits in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.