- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, cubed
- In a bowl, combine the dry cake mix, eggs and oil. With floured hands, press two-thirds of the mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Set remaining cake mixture aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the milk, chocolate chips and butter. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45 seconds; stir. Microwave 45-60 seconds longer or until chips and butter are melted; stir until smooth. Pour over crust.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls of remaining cake mixture over top. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forCan't Leave Alone Bars
"easy to make. Wonderful to eat!"
"I have made this recipe twice and everyone loves it. I saw that some people were having trouble "spreading the dough". I sprayed PAM on a spatula and it spread great! I also put flour on my hands when I was doing the second part. I had nothing but rave reviews on this recipe."
"This is a great recipe! I used a French Vanilla cake mix, as I did not have a white mix on hand. I thought the dough was sticky, but patience is always the answer, and a bit of flour on my hands as I pushed it into place.....I think I may add some nuts into the chocolate mixture next time. I made a batch and gave it to the PUD linemen, after they worked into the dark to restore our power last week! I will surely make this recipe again!!!!"
"Nothing wrong with the recipe!! I make them exactly as written and they are wonderful to take to a church coffee hour or any time you need to bring a treat. They have been my favorite for years and I have never been disappointed. The original recipe says to make 48, and they are rich so I make 48 pieces. Everyone loves them!!!"
"I sampled these bars after cutting them. I found that I did need to add liquid to batter-the consistency was VERY thick before I added about 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk for a much easier spreading consistency-that was my only ingredient change. I used stove top for making chocolate filling and baked 20 to 30 minutes-I did find these bars quite good!"
"Nothing wrong with these! easy to make and tasty, good for a potluck. I'm not sure why some people have a problem with dough being too sticky, it wasn't like that for me at all..it was the perfect consistency and exactly the right amount... maybe they are making the cake mix like the box tells them to and then adding it to this recipe? You just add the powder, ignore the box! I used Betty Crocker white cake mix. Also, I found it was A LOT easier/cleaner/faster to melt the chocolate/butter on the stove. The microwave was a mess and doesn't evenly melt together since the butter melts so much faster than the chocolate chips."
"I honestly created an account on this website solely to complain about this recipe. There is no way it can be correct. The first step failed me twice. The cake mixture is sticky like glue and there is literally no way on earth to "press" it in to the pan, let alone a 13x9" pan! There was no way the mixture was enough to line that size pan. I've been able to salvage most baking recipes that don't turn out, but this one is a lost cause and was a total waste of money spent. I wish I could give zero stars."