Campfire Cheese Hash Brown Packets
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (28 ounces) frozen O'Brien potatoes, thawed
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- hard-boiled large eggs and pico de gallo, optional
- Prepare campfire or grill for medium-high heat. Toss potatoes with 3/4 cup cheese, bacon, salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture among four 18x12-in. pieces of heavy-duty nonstick foil, placing food on dull side of foil. Fold foil around potato mixture, sealing tightly.
- Place packets over campfire or grill; cook 6-9 minutes on each side or until potatoes are tender. Open packets carefully to allow steam to escape; sprinkle with remaining cheese. If desired, serve with eggs and pico de gallo.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 329 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 708mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 16, 2016
These were pretty good. The only change I made was the method in cooking which was to put them in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes. I served cheesy scrambled eggs alongside them. My grandson loved this recipe and ate all of his food. That is a miracle!
Jun 3, 2016
when a recipe says with pico and there is no recipe for the pico - was totally unfair? so - tomatoes, jalopeno peppers, (use green bell peppers in place of jalopenos - less heat - but still gr8 taste) onions, lime juice and salt - mix 2gether and chill! I did do some changes to fit n2 my low sodium diet - I didn't add the salt, I used turkey bacon and i peeled and diced potatoes - cooked on stove top and served with scrambled eggs and pico on the side.
Jun 26, 2015
I did not follow the recipe exactly. The bag of hashbrowns I found was 32 oz. I added more cheese than called for but did not sprinkle with cheese at the end. I also added some chopped onion (because I really like onions in potatoes) and added a little butter. These were fantastic. Very versatile and you can make adjustments/substitutions based on your tastes. Next time I would double the amount of bacon. :)