Set the mood for a romantic morning meal with these beautiful souffles. They can help to make an ordinary morning special. —Irina Ummel, Arlington, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-1/4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 ounce Camembert cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Dash cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat two 8-oz. ramekins with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour, nutmeg and cayenne until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the Gruyere, Camembert, sherry and mustard until cheeses are melted. Remove from heat. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, fold egg whites into cheese mixture until combined. Transfer to prepared ramekins.
- Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until the top is puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 253 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 497mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 17g protein.
Feb 11, 2013
Fantastic! We made these for a cooking club brunch and they were not only pretty easy but melt in your mouth delicious!
Feb 11, 2011
the directions call for egg yolks however, the ingredients doesn't say how many