VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 nori sheets, thinly sliced
- Pickled ginger slices, soy sauce and toasted sesame seeds, optional
- Wash rice in a colander until water runs clear. Combine rice, 1 cup water and salt in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover. Simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes. Combine rice vinegar and sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Stir into rice.
- Place 1/3 cup rice into each of four 1-pint wide-mouth canning jars. Layer half of the avocados, crabmeat, cucumber and nori in each jar. Top with remaining rice and repeat layers. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Transfer into bowls; toss to combine. If desired, serve with optional ingredients. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as California Roll in a Jar in Make & Take Cookbook Bookazine 2018