California Roast Lamb
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 leg of lamb (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 to 5 large fresh artichokes, quartered
- Roasted lemon wedges, fresh oregano and fresh thyme sprigs
- Cut slits in lamb; insert garlic. Rub meat with salt, pepper and oregano. Roast at 400° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; roast 1 hour more. Skim off any fat in pan; pour tomato sauce, water and lemon juice over lamb. Place artichokes around meat. Roast 1 hour longer or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Garnish with lemons and fresh herbs.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked lamb: 152 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 365mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Jun 22, 2014
Love, love, love this recipe. I used celery and onion salts along with a lime and Marjoram as I didn't have the other ingredients to hand.
Mar 31, 2013
it was juicy and delicious!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.