California Roast Lamb
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 leg of lamb (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 to 5 large fresh artichokes, quartered
- Roasted lemon wedges, fresh oregano and fresh thyme sprigs
- Cut slits in lamb; insert garlic. Rub meat with salt, pepper and oregano. Roast at 400° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; roast 1 hour more. Skim off any fat in pan; pour tomato sauce, water and lemon juice over lamb. Place artichokes around meat. Roast 1 hour longer or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Garnish with lemons and fresh herbs.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked lamb: 152 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 365mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 22, 2014
Love, love, love this recipe. I used celery and onion salts along with a lime and Marjoram as I didn't have the other ingredients to hand.
Mar 31, 2013
it was juicy and delicious!!!!