- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 pounds pork stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded fresh serrano chili peppers
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded fresh poblano chili peppers
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded fresh jalapeno peppers
- 2 to 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 7 plum tomatoes, chopped
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, cook the beef, pork and onions until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the garlic, peppers and seasonings; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree, broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Garnish with reserved bacon and cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forCalifornia Pepper Chili
"Very good chili recipe. I would definitely make again."