- 10 cups torn Bibb or Boston lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups orange sections (about 2 medium oranges)
- 1 cup ruby red grapefruit sections (about 1 medium grapefruit)
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons ruby red grapefruit juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
- Place lettuce, oranges, grapefruit and avocados in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk grapefruit juice, oil, honey and salt until blended. Drizzle over salad and toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with cheese and pistachios. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews forCalifornia Citrus & Avocado Salad
"We enjoyed this salad and I will make it again. A nice alternative! I think I might try orange juice rather than grapefruit juice in the dressing next time."
"I've been trying to submit a review but keep getting a message to revise the inappropriate language and submit again!! I have no idea what the inappropriate language is but I'll try once more. Basically, our family loved the salad and the dressing. Citrus, avocado and nuts worked well together. Did not add the cheese--personal preferences."
"When I saw the main ingredients I had high hopes for this recipe because they are all things that I enjoy eating. But something about the dressing made the entire salad, almost bitter. I even tried modifying the dressing (with regular vegetable oil) after finding that the evoo was really over-powering and that didn't seem to help."