Calico Main Dish Soup
Serve this hearty soup with a pan of corn bread on a cold winter's night—it'll warm you right down to your toes!—Josie Pritchard, Atkinson, Illinois.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes6-8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed golden mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 to 2 cups tomato juice, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the green pepper, onion, chili powder, salt and cumin. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the soup, water, corn, tomatoes, beans and rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Thin with tomato juice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 279 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1193mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Calico Main Dish Soup in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.