- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos
- 1/2 cup salsa
- In a small skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, oregano, baking powder, cumin, egg and milk just until combined. Fold in the corn, pimientos and onion mixture.
- Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray; drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into skillet. Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with salsa. Yield: 3 servings.
Reviews forCalico Corn Cakes
"These were a super hit with my family. I made a mistake in making them, by not cooking the veggies first, but they loved it still. It was very tasty and will be making them again."
"When I said it sounds wonderful, I had been reading posts where other folks improvised some of their own ingredients. I am glad this is a flexible recipe. The original way is the way I tried it and loved it. But now I want to add other ingredients to it, too. "
"sounds wonderful! Can't wait to try it again."
"I thought I'd try something a little different. Tasty and I love the color! Goes great with sour cream. The batter didn't go quite as far as I had hoped, next time I will double the recipe."
"LOVED these! I left out the green peppers by preference. The flavor was amazing and we will definitely make again!"
"LOVED these! The flavor was amazing and we will definitely make again!"
"I made these tonight to go with Black Bean Enchiladas & we loved them together! I used orange pepper not green. They were easy to make, tasted great & presented well in the meal. Served them with light sour cream & salsa. Will make again!!"
"Very good, unique recipe. I made them this morning for a savory breakfast- delish. Would also be great topped with an egg for a Huevos rancheros type meal. I ate mine with some spicy salsa and dollop or sour cream- heavenly! I would also serve these for dinner as a side dish or even how you serve corn bread. Thanks, nice "new to me" recipe!"
"I added chipotle and a tad more flour then made them in the Belgium Waffle Maker!! MAde a green chili & rotelle sauce... OMGosh!!!"
"Very good side for a Mexican dish! They were easy to make and my picky kids loved them!"