- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 pounds Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 5 cups water
- 8 cups sliced celery (about 1-1/2 bunches)
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 24 slices white bread, cubed
- 6 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 bunches green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.
- In a large kettle, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, celery, green peppers, garlic, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- In a very large bowl, crumble corn bread into 1/2-in. pieces. Stir in the white bread, broth, onions and parsley. Add sausage mixture. Divide among four greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: 58 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews forCalico Corn Bread Dressing
"I love to make this for Thansgiving and then freeze some for Christmas as this recipe makes alot. My family loves it!"