I developed this recipe myself when I was 16. It freezes well and almost tastes better the day after you make it. The variety of vegetables make it colorful to serve and give it the calico name.—Camille Gouldsborough, Grosse Isle, Manitoba.
Recommended: Potluck-Ready Summer Slow Cooker Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup diced zucchini, optional
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, green pepper, onion, celery and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until thickened and heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8-10 servings (10 cups).
Originally published as Calico Chili in Country Ground Beef 1993, p14
Reviews forCalico Chili
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 5, 2010
Reviewed Nov. 5, 2008
"different has corn rice and zuc"