"On summer Sundays when our children were young, we'd often invite guests for cookouts," recalls Maryann Bondonese of Nazareth, Pennsylvania. "These unique burgers were always a hit."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash pepper
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; mix well. Shape into four to six oval patties. Grill over hot heat until meat reaches desired doneness, about 15-20 minutes.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a saucepan; simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with burgers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 218 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 712mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Calico Burgers in Taste of Home June/July 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.