Calico Beans Recipe
- 4 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (21 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings. In the same skillet, cook beef and onion over medium hat until the meat is no longer pink; drain fat. Combine the ground beef mixture, bacon, beans, ketchup, sugar, vinegar, mustard and salt. Spoon into a 2-qt. casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-60 minutes or until the beans are as thick as desired. Recipe can be easily doubled for a larger group. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 each: 304 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 1015mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 7g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for Calico Beans
"I have made this recipe several times. Can even make in crock pot too. We love them!Barb"
"I made this and sent it with my husband to a potluck. He came home with an empty dish--so I guess it was a hit! I could not find butter beans in the store so I used black beans. I added about 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke. I will save this recipe and make it again."
"We made this at our Girl Scout overnight for a hearty lunch served with cornbread. It was a big hit and very tasty and filling after a morning hike! easy for the girls (12 and 13) to prep and serve."
"I have made this dish for potlucks and family dinners numerous times and am always asked for the recipe. I use a 13 by 9 inch baking dish and add an interesting twist by turning the oven up to 400 degrees during the last 10-15 minutes and topping the beans with canned biscuits (Grands are great!) and sprinkling shredded cheese on top of the biscuits. bake until the biscuits are fluffy and brown."
"Just took these to my niece's wedding reception! A gal searched me out as I was leaving with my crockpot to find out "who made those beans!!" Made my day! Best and easiest recipe ever!!!"
"Misplaced the Taste of Homes this came in so had to go on line to look it up. We just love this recipe for calico beans, I do add one more thing, 1/2 tsp of liquid smoke (or adjust to your taste). Makes it taste like cooked over an open fire."
"Love this recipe! It's always requested for our 4th of July party!. I actually make it without the hamburger (hey, what the heck your hamburgers are grillin' later anyway!) and throw it in the crock pot on low for 4-6 hours and voila' , sit back, light a sparkler, grab a cold one and enjoy the party!"
"This is a family favorite."
"I am looking for a bean recipe similar to one that I had about a year ago. This isn't it but it's very, very good. Good enough for me to almost stop looking. I made this without the beef and it was still excellent. It was simple to put together in a short period of time."