Calgary Stampede Ribs
Total TimePrep: 2-1/4 hours + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 4 pounds pork baby back ribs, cut into serving-size pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°. Rub ribs with garlic; place in a roasting pan. Bake, covered, until tender, about 2 hours.
- Mix sugar, salt and spices; sprinkle over ribs. Remove from pan; cool slightly. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter over medium heat; saute onion until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Brush ribs with some of the sauce. Grill, covered, over medium heat until heated through, 12-15 minutes, turning and brushing occasionally with additional sauce. Serve with remaining sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 394 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 1170mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.
May 15, 2018
I found this recipe interesting because they were made opposite of most of my other rib recipes. Slow cook, then marinate. They turned out tender and flavorful. I found the addition of lemon juice in the BBQ sauce a unique addition.
Jan 28, 2018
These ribs are delicious! Did not get to finish them on the grill, as it was stormy out. I am sure this would have made them outstanding!
Jul 1, 2017
Absolutely the best rib recipe ever that ALWAYS turns out! A bit of work <starting the day before> but well worth it! Personally use minced garlic from the jar which is much easier to rub on for the initial bake. Caution with the cayenne pepper also - stick to the suggested amount! Have also tried side ribs which were equally enjoyable! As with back ribs stripping the back membrane off the bone side helps immeasurably with the final product!
Nov 1, 2015
Baked in slow cooker on low for 7 hrs. Used baby back ribs. Cooled and applied the rub and placed it n the fridge overnight. Basted with BBQ sauce which was fantastic, and baked for 30 minutes turning and basting ribs with more BBQ ever 10 min or so
Jul 3, 2015
My family says these are the best ribs they've ever had. The sauce is amazing! They've asked for this to become our regular rib recipe.
Dec 16, 2014
Used this recipe on venison ribs and it turned out great!
Nov 14, 2014
Aug 31, 2014
TOTALLY AWESOME!!! CAN'T GO WRONG WITH THIS RECIPE!!
Aug 12, 2014
Amazing!!! Incredible!!! I impressed myself with these fantastic ribs. I made them exactly as the recipe stated. My husband loved these. I will definitely be making these again!!
Jul 30, 2014
I served these ribs twice in the past 3 weeks and got rave reviews both times! I love that you can cook them ahead and then let the rub to sit overnight. This makes the actual serving part very simple- just a few minutes on the grill. The recipe only calls for 1/8 tsp cayenne so we did not find it overpowering. The folks I served these too thought the sauce made the ribs. I was a fan myself and will definitely keep this as my go-to rib recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.