Calendula Corn Muffins
This muffin is truly unique with calendula petals mixed in the batter. They are a perfect side for a big bowl of chili.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 15 muffins
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup calendula petals (about 6 blossoms)
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in the corn, cheese and calendula petals just until mixed Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteVerify that flowers are edible and have not been treated with chemicals.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 210 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Calendula Corn Muffins in Birds & Blooms October/November 1999