VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 to 5 pounds)
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Place chicken in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2-3 hours. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, oregano, basil and 1 teaspoon pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1/2-in. balls.
- Remove carcass from stockpot; cool. Return broth to a simmer; add meatballs. Cook, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Remove meat from carcass; shred meat with two forks and return to pot. Discard carcass and skin. Bring broth to a boil; stir in rice and spinach. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Drizzle beaten eggs into soup, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining salt and pepper. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Calabrian Holiday Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p54