Cake-Topped Strawberry-Rhubarb Dessert
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Heavy whipping cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, 1 cup sugar, tapioca and lemon juice. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- In a large bowl, cream the remaining butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Spoon over fruit mixture. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm with cream if desired.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 322 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 12, 2011
I had only 2 cups of rhubarb, so I increased the strawberries to 3 cups. It ended up too sweet for my taste, but the kids loved it. The cake part turned out very nice. I like that it's a quick and easy recipe
Jan 17, 2011
So tasty! My family loved it! Great way to use up the rhubarb when it is in season!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.