Cake-Topped Strawberry-Rhubarb Dessert
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Heavy whipping cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, 1 cup sugar, tapioca and lemon juice. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- In a large bowl, cream the remaining butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Spoon over fruit mixture. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm with cream if desired.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 322 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 12, 2011
I had only 2 cups of rhubarb, so I increased the strawberries to 3 cups. It ended up too sweet for my taste, but the kids loved it. The cake part turned out very nice. I like that it's a quick and easy recipe
Jan 17, 2011
So tasty! My family loved it! Great way to use up the rhubarb when it is in season!