Here's a delightful way to use up your harvest of rhubarb. Fresh from the oven, the bubbling dessert is wonderful with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.—Ruth Johnson, Elkton, Maryland
Recommended: 32 Sweet and Tart Rhubarb Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Heavy whipping cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, 1 cup sugar, tapioca and lemon juice. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- In a large bowl, cream the remaining butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Spoon over fruit mixture. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Cake-Topped Strawberry-Rhubarb Dessert in Country Woman May/June 2005, p51
Reviews forCake-Topped Strawberry-Rhubarb Dessert
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 17, 2011
"So tasty! My family loved it! Great way to use up the rhubarb when it is in season!"