Cake-Topped Blueberry Dessert
Bountiful blueberries are the basis for this refreshing meal-ender from Ellen Carleton of Mont Vernon, New Hampshire. "A yummy cake layer with delicate orange flavor crowns sweet berries—it's perfect for summer menus," she says. "And it can be made in a jiffy."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- In a saucepan, combine the blueberries, brown sugar and butter; cook for 5 minutes or until saucy. Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg and orange zest. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with orange juice, beating just until combined.
- Drop batter by spoonfuls over blueberry mixture. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 241 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 132mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Originally published as Cake-Topped Blueberry Dessert in Light & Tasty June/July 2002