Beans and rice make the perfect meal because they're well-balanced, an excellent source of protein, and easy to prepare. The sausage adds full flavor to the recipe, and traditional pork sausage lovers won't even notice that turkey sausage is used in this dish.
Recommended: Healthy Mardi Gras Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5-1/3 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown sausage. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in beans, tomatoes, vegetables, garlic and seasonings.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cajun-Style Beans and Sausage in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2016, p31