Cajun Sausage Pasta
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups dry white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 5 cups hot cooked penne pasta
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add broth and wine. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to 1 cup. Reduce heat. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, cumin, cayenne and pepper. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, cook sausage and peppers over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and peppers are tender; drain. Stir in the tomato mixture. Serve over pasta.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 555 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 987mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 26g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 12, 2013
This recipe was an interesting change from the sausage and peppers I am used to. There was a little kick to the dish which I loved. I changed just a few things due to ingredients I had available. I cut down the onion to half of one. I used fresh tomatoes instead of canned. Finally I had to use a little extra olive oil for the sausage and peppers mix because my peppers and sausage were sticking to my pan. Overall nice change on a dish that I have enjoyed many times.