Cajun Sausage Bread
I found this fun recipe in a newspaper years ago and always serve it up for special brunches-and for my Super Bowl crowd. The spicy, stick-to-your-ribs loaf really warms folks up, and family and friends just rave about it.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Crumble sausage into a large skillet; add garlic. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, combine the onions, green pepper and jalapenos. Stir in the sausage mixture and cheese; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each loaf of dough into a 13x9-in. rectangle. Top with sausage mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting on greased baking sheets. Brush with butter.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 152 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Cajun Sausage Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.