Cajun Red Beans
I like to make this main dish when I'm having company for dinner, since it serves a bunch. Warm corn bread makes a great accompaniment.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 pound dried kidney beans
- 1 large ham bone
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups chopped green onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound fully cooked Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, sliced
- Hot cooked rice
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven. Add the ham bone, water and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 1 hour.
- Remove ham bone, when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bone and discard bone. Set meat aside. To the bean mixture, add the onions, green pepper, parsley, tomato sauce, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, cayenne, oregano, thyme and hot pepper sauce. Cook on low for 1 hour.
- Add sausage and reserved ham; cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 349 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 1364mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Cajun Red Beans in Country February/March 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.