I created this recipe after returning home after traveling when I had little food in the house. I used ingredients already available in the refrigerator and pantry. My husband loves this pork dish because it's tasty, and I love it because it's easy. —Allison Gapinski, Cary, North Carolina
Featured In: 46 Slow Cooker Recipes for Two
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork loin chops
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- Mix cumin and chili powder; sprinkle pork chops with 2 teaspoon spice mixture. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix tomatoes, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, hot sauce, salt and remaining spice mixture; pour over chops. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir in rice and chicken broth, breaking up pork into pieces. Cook, covered, on low 10-15 minutes longer or until rice is tender. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Serve with pork mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cajun Pork and Rice in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2014, p48