Cajun Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 1-3/4 hours Bake: 70 min.
- 40 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/4 cup each pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper, ground cumin and nutmeg
- 40 green onions, thinly sliced
- 15 medium onions, chopped
- 10 medium green peppers, chopped
- 40 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups butter
- 1 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup hot pepper sauce
- 6 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 1 bottle (64 ounces) ketchup
- 8 packages (8 ounces each) dry bread crumbs (20 cups)
- 36 eggs, beaten
- 30 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 10 pounds ground pork
- Combine the seasonings; set aside. In Dutch ovens, saute onions, green peppers and garlic in butter until tender. Add Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and reserved seasonings. Cook and stir for 8-10 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Remove from the heat; stir in milk and ketchup. Cool.
- Add bread crumbs and eggs; mix well. In several large bowls, combine beef, pork and vegetable mixture; mix well. Pat into 11 greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°; drain.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 222 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 19, 2017
I first came across this recipe on another site where it is scaled down to 8 servings. I use this almost exclusively to make the most amazing burgers in existence! The only changes I make are to use all ground beef, and whole milk instead of evaporated.