Cajun Herb Mix
Foods low in salt can to help lower your risk for high blood pressure-and even control it. The American Heart Association recommends keeping sodium at less than 2300 mg per day. This spicy salt-free rub is one example of easy ways to boost flavor but not sodium. Try it on chicken, pork-even popcorn!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 5 min.
Makesabout 2/3 cup
- 5 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons dried minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Store mixture in an airtight container for up to six months. Rub over poultry or meat before cooking.
Nutrition Facts1 teaspoon: 6 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Cajun Herb Mix in Healthy Cooking February/March 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.