Cajun Fried Rice
Karen Combs of Union Bridge, Maryland puts leftover pork to good use as a side or main dish. "The colorful combination is a family favorite," she assures. It's a budget favorite, too, at 49 cents a serving.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked pork
- In a large skillet, saute rice in oil until lightly browned. Add the green pepper, onion and celery; saute for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the water, broth, tomato, salt if desired, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in pork; heat through.
Editor's Note: The cost per serving does not include optional ingredients such as garnishes. When there is a choice of two ingredients, the cost is figured with the first one listed.