Cajun Corned Beef Hash
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup each finely chopped green onions, sweet red pepper and green pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups chopped cooked corned beef
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 8 eggs
- Additional Cajun seasoning and hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large skillet, cook hash browns in butter until almost tender. Stir in onions, peppers and seasonings. Cook until hash browns are lightly browned and peppers are tender. Add corned beef; heat through.
- Meanwhile, place 2-3 in. of water in a large skillet with high sides; add vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer; holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip egg into water.
- Cook 4 eggs, uncovered, until whites are completely set, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, lift each egg out of the water. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Serve over hash mixture. Sprinkle with additional Cajun seasoning and serve with hot pepper sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 569 calories, 38g fat (16g saturated fat), 539mg cholesterol, 1733mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 32g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 13, 2011
I like corned beef, but my family doesn't so I made this recipe substituting chopped leftover roast beef. They thought it was great, but had I made it with the corned beef I know I would have liked it even better. The cajun seasoning on the eggs is a must as they are very bland by themselves. It "marries" the seasoning to the rest of the dish. One mistake I made was to put a lid on the pan partway through cooking. I thought it might dry out too fast if I didn't, but it ended up making it a little too mushy. Should have followed the recipe on that part.
Jul 11, 2011
Definitely a keeper! Instead of poaching the eggs, I scrambled them. And I misread the ingredients when I was going trough them and instead of using green onion, I tossed in an entire bag of frozen onion, green & red pepper! Turned out great! =) Thanks for the recipe!