Cajun Corn and Shrimp
My dad's Cajun concoctions inspired me to experiment in the kitchen. He was so proud when he saw the smiles on our faces as we gobbled up his meals. I feel the same sense of pride when I cook and watch my family enjoy the meal I prepare for them.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen corn
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a large skillet, saute onion, green pepper and garlic in butter until crisp-tender. Add the corn, tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Stir in the milk and green onions; simmer for 10 minutes. Add shrimp; cook for 8 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 235 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 190mg cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Cajun Corn and Shrimp in Country Extra November 2000