This kicked-up pasta dish is a family favorite and my most requested recipe. It's easy to adapt, too. Swap in shrimp for the chicken, add your favorite veggies, adjust the spice level to your family's taste—you can't go wrong! —Dolly Kragel, Smithland, Iowa
Recommended: 50 Pasta Recipes from Around the World
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2x1/2-in. strips
- 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta (about 2-1/3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper to taste
- Chopped plum tomatoes
- Minced fresh basil
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Toss chicken with Cajun seasoning; let stand 15 minutes. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat; saute chicken until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining butter over medium-high; saute peppers, mushrooms and green onions until peppers are crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in cream and seasonings; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until slightly thickened, 4-6 minutes. Stir in pasta and chicken; heat through. Top with tomatoes and basil. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cajun Chicken & Pasta in Simple & Delicious April/May 2017