Cajun Beef Casserole Recipe
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions. Spread into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add tomatoes, vegetables, tomato paste and seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Pour over batter. Sprinkle with cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with onions.
- 4. Freeze option: Omit onion topping. Cool baked casserole; wrap and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°; bake as directed, increasing time as necessary for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Sprinkle cooked casserole with onions. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 449 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 916mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Cajun Beef Casserole
"This reminded me of shepherd's pie - with cornbread and cajun seasoning instead of mashed potatoes...on the bottom. I have to admit the first few bites are...interesting. This was a new concept and took some getting used to. But I still want to make it again! With the cornbread, I thought it might be a rather heavy meal, but was surprised to find that it wasn't. I was very glad that I saw the other reviews saying to leave the liquids in - the recipe certainly needed it. I did not have the right size pan and had to make this with a deep 8x8 pyrex (which fits more than my 9x9 pan. I don't recommend using the 8x8... Things I will change for next time: 1) pre-cook the mixed vegetables. They were not mushy enough. 2) I won't use the standard bag of mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, corn, green beans, lima beans) - the carrots and the lima beans just didn't go with the rest, especially with how hard they were."
"This is a great tasting recipe, I liked it, easy to prepare, ideal for late weeknight cooking"
"I found this recipe to be rather dry & tasteless. If I decide to make this again I won't drain the tomatoes & will add more spice."
"AWESOME!! NOTHING BETTER THAN COMFORT FOOD!"
"This was very good and so easy. It is always helpful to read other reviews before making any dish and I took the suggestion of not draining the tomatoes. I think it needed that extra liquid. I was a bit generous with the cajun seasoning as we like things pretty spicy and considered adding a can of green chilies but didn't have any! The corn bread was excellent with the meat mixture! We will definitely make this casserole again!"
"my family (including 2 kids) enjoyed it; i used fresh chopped broccoli instead of the frozd vegs; i didn't use the cajun seasonng but added some salsa. the cornbread crust came out nice. and you could never have enough shredded cheese!"
"This was disgusting. No one liked it"
"Not bad. I actually forgot the cajun seasoning, so I use Montreal Steak seasoning and I didn't have any cheese for the top because my husband is a cheese fien and ate what I had left. The recipe was good though. The hubby liked it enough to go back three times, so I'll definitely be making it again."
"Wonderful on this very cold & wintery day."
"I haven't tried this yet, but does the cornbread come out the right way or should you cook the cornbread first? Thanks"
"really easy to make, delicious and satisfying."
"I had no problem with the recipe cooking it as is. I liked the corn muffin on the bottom, that was different."
"I agree with hammyjo62, the diced tomatoes did not need to be drained. This was very good but needed to be spiced up a little. Next time I think I will try Pepperjack cheese instead of cheddar. Maybe an envelope of onion soup as well. I thought it was good the way it is but needed a little kick,"
"It was a great idea, but the kids still wouldn't eat it."
"Everyone in my family loved it. The cornbread bottom made it unique and the cajun seasoning was just enough spice without being to spicy for my 3 year old. Great all in one dish!"
"Loved it! The leftovers tasted even better the next day."
"Think the tomatoes should have not been drained - I had to add water back & added a little salt & sugar to the mix. Reheats excellent"
"This recipe was a hit with the entire family. the cornbread made this meal extra special. I would give it 6 stars if possible!"
"I added about 2oz. of gorgonzola to the cheddar,it may have been a bit much but hey,I love the gorgon."