- 1 can (30 ounces) pumpkin pie mix
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Line two 9-in. pie plates with waxed paper or parchment paper; coat the paper with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar and milk. Beat in eggs, cinnamon and salt. Pour into prepared pans. Sprinkle with dry cake mix. Drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with pecans; press down lightly. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 2 hours on wire racks. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Invert pies onto serving plates; remove waxed paper. Chill.
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add brown sugar and cream; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. For topping, in a mixing bowl, beat cream until foamy. Beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Cut the pie into slices; drizzle with caramel sauce and dollop with topping. Yield: 2 pies (10 servings each).
Reviews forCafe's Pecan Pumpkin Pie
"This is one of the best pumpkin pies I have ever had! I get rave reviews from all my friends and family and my co-workers ask me to prepare it every year. If you want to try something that is not the typical pumpkin pie, this is the one!"