Cafe Mocha Pinwheels
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + freezing Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and espresso powder; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Beat cocoa into half of dough. Divide each color into 2 portions.
- On baking sheets, roll each portion between 2 sheets of waxed paper into a 9x7-in. rectangle. Remove waxed paper. Place a chocolate rectangle on top of a plain rectangle. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Tightly roll waxed paper over dough, using the waxed paper to mold the dough into a smooth roll. Securely wrap dough in waxed paper; repeat with remaining dough. Freeze 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Freeze option: Place wrapped logs in an airtight container; return to freezer. To use, unwrap frozen logs and cut into slices. If necessary, let dough stand 15 minutes at room temperature before cutting. Bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 87 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 46mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 2, 2019
I also found the dough very sticky. Perhaps more flour needed? My cookies spread out flat and thin in the oven , which was very disappointing. The taste was nice.
Dec 24, 2016
The dough is awfully sticky and wet. I'm hoping that refrigerating it before rolling will help. So far i smells good though.