Caesar Orzo with Asparagus
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup fat-free creamy Caesar salad dressing
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Add orzo; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add asparagus. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until orzo and asparagus are tender, stirring frequently; drain. Stir in salad dressing and cheese; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 210 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 504mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Feb 8, 2011
Yuck! This looked so good and smelled good while I was making it but as soon as I opened the "light" caesar dressing it all went downhill. After adding the dressing and parmesan cheese the whole kitchen had a saurkraut smell (disgusting!) It tasted chemically and was not good at all. My husband didn't even want it in the house. I don"t know whether it was the brand of dressing (Ken's) or what but this was disgusting and I will not be trying it again.
Mar 24, 2010
I have made this recipe several times (with broccoli instead of asparagus) and it is always a big hit. This dish truly shines.
Dec 9, 2009
This was easy and so delicious. I was surprised how much it resembled a creamy risotto! I had some leftover mushrooms which i lightly sauteed and stirred into the orzo with the cheese. It was a perfect side dish to my broiled fish.