Cactus Corn Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1-1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and chilies; mix well. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in corn and cheeses. Fill well-greased cactus-shaped or regular muffin cups with about 1/3 cup batter.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 210 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 13, 2011
My family LOVES these! I love that they freeze well and often bring them to gatherings where they go fast. My molds are in the shape of corn ears and it is a little putsy getting them out intact so I make sure they are prepared in advance.