Cactus Corn Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1-1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and chilies; mix well. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in corn and cheeses. Fill well-greased cactus-shaped or regular muffin cups with about 1/3 cup batter.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 210 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Mar 13, 2011
My family LOVES these! I love that they freeze well and often bring them to gatherings where they go fast. My molds are in the shape of corn ears and it is a little putsy getting them out intact so I make sure they are prepared in advance.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.