Cabbage Zucchini Borscht
I know my family will get a hearty, healthy meal when I serve this soup. There are so many good vegetables to stir in!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
Makes12-14 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 pound meaty beef soup bones (beef shanks or short ribs)
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups diced peeled tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons dill weed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon aniseed
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups chopped cooked beets
- Place soup bones and water in a stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes.
- Skim off fat. Add the cabbage, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, onion, parsley, dill, salt and pepper. Place aniseed on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to stockpot. Simmer, uncovered, for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove meat from soup bones; discard bones and add meat to soup. Stir in zucchini and beets. Simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender. Remove spice bag before serving.
Originally published as Cabbage Zucchini Borscht in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.