Cabbage With Meat Sauce
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium head cabbage, thinly sliced
- In a skillet, cook sausage, green pepper and onion until the sausage is browned; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper; simmer for 1 hour. Melt butter in a Dutch oven; saute cabbage over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter; top with the meat sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 295 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 748mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 30, 2015
I have been making this recipe for years and decided it was time I reviewed it. This is delicious, my whole family loves it. Such a nice change from pasta
Mar 13, 2011
Delicious and easy to make. We used Bob Evans Italian style pork sausage for a little more zip. We added a sprinkle of parmesan cheese to each serving.