Cabbage Wedges with Beef
"When you're pinching pennies, you look for filling meals with inexpensive ingredients," Sue VanDlac writes from her home in Everett, Washington. "This skillet dinner is always a hit. I love preparing it for my family."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, celery and green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium head cabbage
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, celery and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and salt; add to skillet. Stir in the oats, parsley, garlic powder and pepper.
- Core the cabbage and cut into six wedges; arrange over meat mixture. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 280 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 932mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 24g protein.
Jan 23, 2019
This was excellent. To save calories and sodium, I did use less ground beef (1 lb.) and less brown sugar (2 T.) and less salt (1/2 tsp.). The cabbage took about 30 minutes to cook. Served over rice.