"Because we live an hour's drive from work, I want something fast and easy to prepare for dinner when I get home," relates Pauline Rye of Titus, Alabama. "This flavorful combination of sausage, potatoes and cabbage makes a filling supper served with a salad and rolls."
Recommended: Our Favorite Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound fully cooked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 6 medium red potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 small head cabbage, cubed
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- In a skillet, cook sausage until lightly browned. Add potatoes, cabbage and onion. Sprinkle with the oregano, brown sugar and salt if desired and pepper. Pour tomatoes over all. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes and cabbage are tender. Serve in bowls. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cabbage Sausage Stew in Quick Cooking November/December 1999, p33
Reviews forCabbage Sausage Stew
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 22, 2011
"I didn't know how I was going to like this recipe, but it turned out to be really good. It was one of those recipes that I couldn't stop eating."