- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups chopped cabbage (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is browned. Add cabbage; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews forCabbage Sausage Soup
"I saw this recipe some years back and tried it. It's simple, good and easy. I cook a lot, not afraid of a complicated recipe and I have to say that this is one of my favorite fall back soups recipes. Thanks for sharing it."
"Did not like this at all, way too bland."
"Very disappointing. Bland."