Have a happy helping of this quicker take on something our grandmothers would make. We serve it over brown rice. It also freezes well. —Susan Chickness, Pictou County, Nova Scotia
Featured In: Our Favorite Cabbage Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small head cabbage, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid; coarsely chop tomatoes. In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles. Stir in tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, seasonings, chopped tomatoes and reserved liquid.
- Add cabbage and pepper; cook, covered, 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cabbage Roll Skillet in Taste of Home December 2015, p30
Reviews forCabbage Roll Skillet
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2016
"Tried this recipe for New Year's Day. It was YUMMY!!!"