- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 7 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until cabbage and carrots are tender. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forCabbage Patch Stew
"AMAZING flavor. can't believe hao wonderful it tastes considering there is no seasoning. I also used half ground beef and mild italian sausage (I used johnsonville sausages sliced) a few pepper flakes. My motto is no repeats, but I WILL MAKE THIS AGAIN... AND SOON, iT'S ALMOST GONE AND I WANT MORE!"
"This is a family favorite so I fix it often during the cold winter months."
"I have made this on numerous occassions and everyone that has tried it absolutely loves it. I make by the recipe but i double it and sometimes I put extra beans in it. It is equally as good with ground turkey in it. This has become my number one favorite soup recipe and I love that there is no added salt in it which is good for my blood pressure. You don't even miss the salt because it's so flavorful."
"OMG! This is one of my husband's and I favorite recipes that he makes. It's great on a cold winter day or on a day that you're feeling lousy. Everyone that I have try this stew says it's awesome..."
"Our family loves this stew!! My husband isn't high on cooked cabbage but he thinks this is The Best -- and so do I!"