Cabbage Patch Coleslaw
This side dish has broad appeal and is nice and crispy. Sour cream blends well with the cider vinegar, oil and seasonings in the dressing.—Betty Otten, Tea, South Dakota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
Makes48-55 (3/4 cup) servings
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 large heads cabbage, shredded
- 8 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar and oil. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in celery seed. Cool completely.
- In two large bowls, combine the cabbage, carrots and onions. Add the celery seed mixture, sour cream, salt, pepper and mustard; mix well. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Originally published as Cabbage Patch Coleslaw in Taste of Home April/May 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.