- 1 large head cabbage
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- In a large saucepan, cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off the head. Set aside 10 large leaves for bundles (refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use). Cut out the thick vein from each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, onion, rice, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Place about 1/2 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling.
- Place five bundles in a Dutch oven. Top with sauerkraut and remaining bundles. Pour water rover all. Bring to a boil over medium heat. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is no longer pink and cabbage is tender. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forCabbage Bundles with Kraut
"When I used the cabbage for cabbage rolls,my question is what can you do with the remaining cabbage. It all gets wet. EL"